My Neighbor Totoro: anime review

February 26, 2008






Title: My Neighbor Totoro
Genre: drama, fantasy, family
Released date: April 16, 1988
Running Time: 86 minutes
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Animated by: Studio Ghibli
Comment: My Neighbor Totoro was one of the earlier films produced by Studio Ghibli and is now considered a classic. Directed by the widely acclaimed Hayao Miyazaki, the anime told a story of a father and his two daughters who had just moved into new house in rural Japan. The children soon met their supernatural neighbor whom the younger sister, Mei, called Totoro. Totoro was interpreted as “keeper of the forest” by the girls’ father and he would appear when the children needed help. The concept of environmentalism was cleverly and subly presented in this movie in the form of cudly Totoro. The children would love him and at the same time fell in love with the country life, the trees, the flowers and the streams. Like other Miyazaki’s film, My Neighbor Totoro was rich in details and the anime itself pulsed with real heart beat. It was really interesting that there is absolutely no villain in this anime. The people in the story had problems and they had to get through many obstacles but they were all good and kind. The scenery of 1950s countryside was beautifully drawn and effectively created nostalgic feeling. Conclusion: This is a true masterpiece and a must see for everybody.
Rating: A

0 comments:

About This Blog

As the name implied, this blog is my personal review of animes I've seen. The anime reviews were not posted in order of my viewing or the animes' release dates but rather randomly so you may need to use the labels to find the anime you're interested in. Your replies are welcome.

Rating description

A+: My personal favorite, Best anime
A: Excellent, a must see for all anime fans
B+: Very good, highly recommended
B: Good, recommended with reservation
C+: Fair, you might like it
C: Mediocre, give it a try if you are totally free
D+: Poor, don't waste your time
D: Bad, stay away from it!
F: Worst anime, it will ruin your life!
Please do not copy text or images from this blog without my permission. If you think that any content from my post belongs to you, please tell me and I will happily consider removing it. Thanks

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP