Tales from Earthsea: anime review

December 8, 2007





Title: Tales from Earthsea
Genre: fantasy
Released date: July 29, 2006
Director: Goro Miyazaki
Animated by: Studio Ghibli
Comment: First of all, I am Le Guin’s fan. I read and enjoyed many of her books including the classic Earthsea series. So it’s impossible for me to watch this anime adaptation without comparing it to the books. Because the anime was produced by Studio Ghibli, It was quite reasonable to set my expectation high before watching it and I was greatly disappointed. The weakest part of the anime was the script which tried to include too many plot lines into single movie. There was the story of price Arren who was haunted by his own shadow, Therru the orphan with burn scar on her face, Sparrowhawk the arc mage who was on a journey to restore the balance of the world and Cob the evil wizard who tried to gain eternal life. All these stories were too rushed that all the details and magic where left out. The visuals and music were the only things that met studio Ghibli’s standard. The anime was directed by Hayao Miyazaki’s son, Goro Miyazaki. Conclusion: This was a decent anime but when compared to other Ghibli’s film it became a dark spot in the studio’s record.
Rating: C

0 comments:

About This Blog

As the name implied, this blog is my personal review of animes I've seen. The anime reviews were not posted in order of my viewing or the animes' release dates but rather randomly so you may need to use the labels to find the anime you're interested in. Your replies are welcome.

Rating description

A+: My personal favorite, Best anime
A: Excellent, a must see for all anime fans
B+: Very good, highly recommended
B: Good, recommended with reservation
C+: Fair, you might like it
C: Mediocre, give it a try if you are totally free
D+: Poor, don't waste your time
D: Bad, stay away from it!
F: Worst anime, it will ruin your life!
Please do not copy text or images from this blog without my permission. If you think that any content from my post belongs to you, please tell me and I will happily consider removing it. Thanks

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP