Whisper of the Heart: anime review

December 8, 2007





Title: Whisper of the Heart
Genre: drama, romantic, comedy
Released date: 15 July 1995
Running Time: 111 minutes
Director: Yoshifumi Kondo
Animated by: Studio Ghibli
Comment: If I had to make a list of best anime I’ve ever watched, Whisper of the Heart would at least be in the top three. The anime was produced by Studio Ghibli and was adapted from a manga of the same name (Mimi wo Sumaseba). It might look like a regular coming of age story but it was actually very special and almost flawless.

Shizuku was a common high-school girl who loved reading fantasy novels. She later met Seiji, the boy in the same school. How the two met and became intimate was something only fate could do. Seiji stayed at the violin shop and he already had plans for his future; he wanted to go to Vienna and become violin maker. Seiji's determination inspired Shizuku to ask herself what she wanted to be in the future. As a result, she started writing her first fantasy fiction in order to learn about her ability and her desire. Shizuku learned many valuable lessons in the process. The anime was extremely optimistic about life. It filled the viewers with hope and dreams and many good lessons for both children and adults. The way Shizuku’s parents reacted to their daughters’ behavior like an adult impressed me a lot and the lesson about a gem hidden in the stone was memorable.

Many things in this anime such as violin, writing short story and cats resembled my childhood experience so it had strong nostalgic effect for me and probably made me like this anime even more. Like most of Studio Ghibli films, this anime was rich in details and deserved numerous repeat viewings. It’s amazing how such a simple story of common people could touch my heart like no anime has ever done. Conclusion: This anime is a real gem which could turn anyone’s darkest day into the brightest. My all-time personal favorite.

Rating: A+

0 comments:

About This Blog

As the name implied, this blog is my personal review of animes I've seen. The anime reviews were not posted in order of my viewing or the animes' release dates but rather randomly so you may need to use the labels to find the anime you're interested in. Your replies are welcome.

Rating description

A+: My personal favorite, Best anime
A: Excellent, a must see for all anime fans
B+: Very good, highly recommended
B: Good, recommended with reservation
C+: Fair, you might like it
C: Mediocre, give it a try if you are totally free
D+: Poor, don't waste your time
D: Bad, stay away from it!
F: Worst anime, it will ruin your life!
Please do not copy text or images from this blog without my permission. If you think that any content from my post belongs to you, please tell me and I will happily consider removing it. Thanks

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP